Whether an amateur or professional, trading is a difficult endeavor. The markets can be unforgiving… and, as much as it pains traders, are always right.
It takes a strict trading process and discipline, amongst others, to succeed in this business.
Below are 10 golden trading rules that can help new traders:
1. Never add too a losing trade. In adding to a losing trade you are already wrong but now become more wrong with a bigger trading size. Adding to losers makes you a counter trend trader that will eventually end badly when you find yourself on the wrong side of a strong trend.
2. NEVER lose more than 1% to 2% of your trading capital on any one trade. This means use position sizing aligned with stop loss placement so when you are wrong the loss is not big enough to damage you financially, mentally, or emotionally.
3. Never trade anything you do not understand 100%. Do not trade futures, forex, or options until you understand the risk and how they work.
4. Trade in the direction of the trend in your trading time frame.
5. Only look for low risk/high reward trades or high probability setups , when you don’t have any signals, don’t trade.
6. Trade your plan, your system, your signals, the chart, and price action, not your own opinions, bias, or predictions.
7. You have to trade the right winning methodology that you are comfortable with that fits your own personality.
9. The size of your wins and losses ultimately determine your trading success regardless of your winning percentage. No system is profitable with huge losses.
10. Your risk management rules will ultimately determine the success of your technical trading system.
Thanks for reading.
More from Steve: 12 Great Quotes From Paul Tudor Jones
Read more from Steve on his blog NewTraderU.
Any opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author, and do not in any way represent the views or opinions of any other person or entity.